1. Skip to content

East Hanney Parish Council

Serving the people of East Hanney

Clerk: Guy Langton
12 Brookside, East Hanney
Wantage, Oxfordshire OX12 OJL

Tel: 01235 867403

  • Image: The Black Horse, East Hanney

    The Black Horse, East Hanney

    The Black Horse Public House, Main Street, East Hanney.

  • Image: St James the Less (former)

    St James the Less (former)

    The deconsecrated St James the Less, Main Street. East Hanney.

  • Image: Dandridge Mill

    Dandridge Mill

    A former silk mill now private dwellings in East Hanney.

East Hanney Parish Council provides your local services. We strive to make East Hanney a better place to live, to work and visit. Our website includes a wealth of information about how we conduct business and what we do. Use the search or browse the site to find whatever you are looking for. If you can't find the information you require then please contact us.

Latest News

Carers Oxfordshire

Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:25 by Guy Langton

Following a successful meeting with Carers Oxfordshire regarding the support available for those that care for others in their own homes, the PC has agreed to share details of this service with local residents.


Halls Lane bridge

Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:42 by Guy Langton

Please see the latest communication from Oxfordshire County Council regarding the bridge over Letcombe Brook at the end of Halls Lane and Cow Lane, near Poughley Farm.

Dear East Hanney Parish Council,

Following on from the update notes provided for the Parish Council meeting (attached), we have been in close communication with the owners of Poughley Farm in order to arrange temporary access. We plan to carry out surfacing works along 330m of BOAT 7 (Cow Lane) from the end of the currently surfaced section north to where the path turns left. From this point, a surfaced track will continue inside the Poughley Farm boundary running parallel to the BOAT to the farm buildings. Please see attached maps. More »

The surfacing will be carried out to a width not exceeding 4m and will consist of a geotextile underlay with a local Coxwell stone / gravel surface. It will be installed in such a way as to facilitate reinstatement of the original path surface if required once the Hall's Lane bridge is reopened.

It is expected for the works to take approximately three weeks, commencing on 17th July. Works will be timed to minimise disruption and conflict with school traffic, noting that term ends on 21st July.

Immediately after completion of the works, robust barriers will be installed on the Hall's Lane side of the bridge to more effectively enforce the width restriction.

As mentioned in the previous notes, the design process for replacement / repair of the bridge is underway and is being treated with high priority. At the current time however, no accurate timescale for completion can be provided.

Oxfordshire County Council do not intend to close the route whilst this work is underway and we are therefore seeking full cooperation from existing users of the byway whilst the surfacing is being carried out so as to assist in the safe and timely completion of all works. I appreciate your support in this matter.

Kind regards,


» Less

New pay and display machines for district council car parks

Tue, 01 Aug 2017 08:48 by Guy Langton

Motorists using district council car parks in South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse will soon benefit from the use of new pay and display machines.

Following a successful trial, the new machines will be installed throughout August, starting in South Oxfordshire. They will allow you to pay by credit and debit card and also accept coins, including the new £1. Old £1 coins will continue to be accepted until they cease circulation on 15 October. More »

Motorists will also still be able to pay by mobile phone via the Connect Cashless system.

When using the new machines you will need to insert your vehicle registration on the key pad when paying to park.

The new machines will be much cheaper and easier to maintain than the current stock which is a number of years old. The system will be powered by solar panels making it much cheaper and greener to run and, where possible, will be installed into the existing machine holders to save waste.

Cllr David Nimmo-Smith, Cabinet Member for the 5 Councils Partnership and Corporate Services Contracts at South Oxfordshire District Council, said: "The new machines introduce debit/credit card payments to our car parks for the first time which will be a great help for those who don't like to carry change around. Using solar panels means we're making another small contribution to reducing the environmental impact of the council."

Cllr Eric Batts, Cabinet Member for Technical Services at Vale of White Horse District Council, said: "The new machines are being installed as part of our shared services contract with VINCI, meaning we haven't had to pay any extra money to accommodate the new £1 coin. They will also provide more payment options which will benefit motorists." » Less