1. Skip to content

East Hanney Parish Council

Serving the people of East Hanney

Clerk: Guy Langton
12 Brookside, East Hanney
Wantage, Oxfordshire OX12 OJL

Tel: 01235 867403

News about household waste charges at recycling centres in Oxfordshire

Posted: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:53 by Guy Langton

News about household waste charges at recycling centres in Oxfordshire

Charges for non-household waste

Charges for non-household waste are changing at our recycling centres from Sunday 1 October 2017.

You will still be able to dispose of all household waste free of charge at any of the county's Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).

How is the new scheme different from the current 1,2,3 for free scheme?

The existing DIY 1,2,3 for free scheme is being replaced by a small fixed fee per item, as shown in the table below. Our DIY 1,2,3 for free scheme's been in place for 15 years and allowed residents to deposit up to three items for free, before being charged a small fee of £1 for each additional item.

How much it will cost

Soil, rubble and ceramic tiles per bag*£1.50
Toilet pan£1.50
Wash basin or kitchen sink£1.50
Shower door or shower tray£1.50
Kitchen work top£1.50
Kitchen unit (wall or floor)£1.50
Standard door£1.50
Window frame (no glass)£1.50
Water tank£1.50
Fence/shed panel£1.50
3m length of guttering or drain pipe£1.50
Roof felt tiles or sections of roof felt – smaller than 1.5m x1.5m£1.50
Roll of roof felt up to 3mx5m£1.50
Plaster/plasterboard per bag£2.50
Plasterboard sheet up to 2m x 1m£10
Car tyre£5

*A bag is 25kg or equivalent volume of loose material. Part bags will be charged as per whole. Other DIY items may be liable to be charged at a similar rate as stated in the table.

What is chargeable waste?

It's non-household or DIY waste items. As a general rule, non-household or DIY waste items are materials created from the construction, demolition, alteration or repair of a home or garden. For example, sink, bath, kitchen unit, radiator, fence panel, bag of soil or rubble etc.

Why am I being charged?

Soil, rubble, hard-core, plasterboard (gypsum) other DIY type items are classified as construction waste, not household waste, and are expensive for the council to dispose. The council is not obliged to provide residents with a disposal site for non-household waste. However Oxfordshire County Council recognises that many householders carry out small DIY projects from time to time, and by applying a small charge this allows HWRCs to continue accepting these discretionary types of non-household waste

Tags: News