Serving the people of East Hanney

Who we are and what we do.

The picture shaows a map of Oxfordshire with the Vale of White Horse District highlighted in red

East Hanney Parish Council consists of 8 elected councillors who serve for a four year term. All Councillors are voluntary and receive no payment whatsoever.

The Clerk can be contacted at by post via the mailbox outside the shop, Hanney War Memorial Hall, Brookside, East Hanney. OX12 0JL, by email at or by phone 07859924655.

Full Council Meetings are normally held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month, from 7.30pm in the Committee Room of the Hanney War Memorial Hall.

Please see the diary of meetings for more information.

East Hanney Parish Council maintains green spaces and play areas in the village including the Recreation Grounds at Brookside, the land around the Iron Bridge and the Allotments.

It owns and leases the land occupied by Sovereign Vale Housing Association on the A338, land known as 'The Constables Piece'.

For further information relating to the services offered by the Parish Council please contact the Clerk who will be happy to give advice and assistance.

Land owned and maintained by the Council


Our councillors are elected or co-opted, if you would like to become a councillor or find out more about what they do then please click here.


Our committees have specific tasks and can have delegated powers.

East Hanney Parish Council Standing Orders

Our Staff

The Parish Clerk works 2.5 days per week spread over Monday to Friday.

Wendy Quigley

Wendy Quigley

Parish Clerk

War Memorial Hall, Brookside, East Hanney. OX12 0JL.
07859 924655
Stephen McKechnie

Stephen McKechnie


East Hanney Parish Council

Stephen was elected to the Parish Council in May 2015 and again in May 2019.

Stephen is currently the Chairman of the Parish Council.

Stephen is the member for village furniture and the annual litter pick.

The Powers of a Parish Council

FunctionPower / Duty
AllotmentsPowers to provide allotments.

Duty to consider providing allotment gardens if demand unsatisfied.

Baths & wash housesPower to provide
Burial grounds, cemeteries & crematoriaPower to acquire, provide and maintain shelters,

Power to agree to maintain monuments & memorials,

Power to contribute towards expenses

Bus sheltersPower to provide & maintain shelters
Bye lawsPowers to provide bye laws for:
  • Pleasure grounds
  • Cycle parks
  • Baths & wash houses
  • Open spaces & burial grounds
CharitiesDuties regarding parochial charities
Christmas lightsPower to provide to attract visitors
Citizens advice bureauPower to support
ClocksPower to provide public clocks
Closed churchyardsPowers to maintain
Conference facilitiesPower to provide and encourage use
Community centresPower to provide and equip community buildings

Power to provide buildings for use of clubs having athletic, social or educational objectives

Crime preventionPowers to spend money on various crime prevention measures
DrainagePower to deal with ponds & ditches
Entertainment & the ArtsProvision of entertainment and support of the arts including festivals and celebrations
GiftsPower to accept

Power to repair and maintain public footpaths & bridle-ways

Power to provide roadside seats & shelters

Power to complain to district councils regarding protection of rights of way and roadside wastes

Power to provide traffic signs and other notices

Power to plant trees etc. and to maintain

InvestmentsPower to participate in schemes of collective investment
LandPower to acquire by agreement, to appropriate, to dispose of land

Power to accept gifts of land

LitterProvision of receptacles
LotteriesPowers to promote

Mortuaries & post mortem rooms

Powers to provide mortuaries and post mortum rooms
NewslettersPower to provide information relating to matters affecting local government

Power to deal with offensive ditches

Open spaces

Powerto acquire land & maintain

Parish property & documentsPowers to direct as to their custody
Postal & telecommunications facilitiesPower to pay public telecommunications operators any loss sustained providing post or telegraph office or telecommunication facilities
Public buildings & village hallsPower to provide buildings for offices and for public meetings and assemblies
Public conveniencesPower to provide
Parks & pleasure groundsPower to acquire land or to provide recreation grounds, public walks, pleasure grounds and open spaces and to manage and control them
RecreationPower to provide a wide range of recreational facilities

Provision of boating pools

Town & Country planning

Right to be notified of planning applications
TourismPower to contribute to organisations encouraging tourism
Traffic calmingPowers to contribute financially to traffic calming schemes
TransportPowers to spend money on community transport schemes
Village signsPower to use decorative signs to inform visitors
War memorialsPower to maintain, repairs, protect and adapt war memorials

Water supply

Power to use well spring or stream and to provide facilities for obtaining water therefrom

Last updated: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:56